Wednesday 16 April 2014

ES 1102 Writing Process

The writing process that I've gone through in ES 1102 for the past semester has been very enjoyable. Through this module, I was able to learn new knowledge on writing that I never knew before and would probably not encounter for the rest of my education in NUS.

As a psychology student, I was only required to write reports for my past 4 years of studies. Hence, writing academic essays was very foreign to me. Being clueless about the structure of writing, I naturally took on the report writing approach. I later learnt from Brad that there are certain things in report writing that does not apply in academic writing, and having understood that, it made the process of writing even easier for me. As I have had previous knowledge about the APA format in writing, I did not face much difficulties in my referencing and citations. However, I feel that ES 1102 is a great platform to allow students to learn about APA format that will definitely be useful for them throughout the rest if their years in university.

The form writing that I enjoyed most in this module was reflections in the form of blog posts. Other than the topic given, we were unrestricted in our style of writing. I feel that this is beneficial to every student because being able to write the way that we prefer enhances our interests toward the topic. At the same time, having corrections made on our own writing enables us to see and be clear about the mistakes that we have been making and be aware of the changes that we have to make. I was excited to write the blog post reflections as I had always enjoyed writing descriptive essays in secondary school.

Om the other hand, the form of writing that I faced the most difficulties with is the critical reflection of the article on globalization. This is because I had never written anything like it before. The writing process was definitely challenging for me, but I still enjoyed it as it allowed me to gain new knowledge and exposure to writing. I learnt how to better express my opinions in written form on a topic I was not very familiar with, and this pushed me to read articles more thoroughly, and understand the meaning behind every sentence.

All in all, apart from the new knowledge I have gained to tackle my writing, I learnt the importance of writing drafts before the final submission. However, the most valuable thing I feel I have gained is the increased confidence toward my command of English. I am sure that I will be able to put all that I have learnt in ES 1102 to good use in my written work in future!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Wei Qin, for this highly detailed, clear and informative reflection. You do a fine job of providing some reference to your previous writing experience and then offering a review of those ES1102 writing assignments that left an impression. I'm glad that the course approach appealed to you and that you feel that it was worthwhile.

    All the best in your future studies!

    ReplyDelete