Friday 7 February 2014

An event that has shaped your life and the person you have become


The event that changed my life occurred just five months ago.

On 4th September 2013, my mother was admitted into the hospital, diagnosed with a stroke. Albeit a mild stroke, the news came as a huge shock to me and my family.

My mother had always been a strong woman; both mentally and physically. However, her strong personality also included stubbornness that resulted in the delay of her visit to the hospital. She had missed the crucial 3 hours of treatment that could have alleviated her symptoms more effectively.

It was the first time I saw my mother so helpless and hopeless on the hospital bed, unable to control her movements properly. My heart broke. It was so agonizing to have to put up a strong front whenever I was with her and be positive about her condition to make her feel better. Thankfully, with her determination and support from the whole family, she was discharged from the hospital 3 days later.

Life became completely different for me because I had to take on much more responsibilities than I ever had. (I should mention that my father’s work is based overseas and my sister and brother-in-law were expecting a baby at that time.) I had to give up a huge portion of my social life because I wanted to be home to take care of my mother. I took over my mother’s duties at home and became in charge of the household chores. It was really difficult to keep a balance between home and school.

Friends around me often asked me why I always had to rush home everyday when school ended. I never explained the real reason to them because I felt that this was really private to me. Now that it’s been almost half a year, and my mother is pretty much recovered, I am comfortable with talking about it.


This incident taught me to never take anyone I love for granted. I changed drastically, becoming more family oriented and showed more concern to my family. Although I sometimes feel like I’m missing out when friends around me are out having fun, I know that it is a sacrifice I have to make to spend as much time as I can with my mother.   


Edited: 13 Feb 2014

10 comments:

  1. Hi WeiQin!
    I think it really takes an enormous amount of courage to overcome what you have and i respect you for that! To juggle work and household chores is no joke and to have survived that you must be really strong mentally :)
    And yes, even though I feel bitter not being able to hang out with my friends sometimes because my parents forbid, family is really the root of us and they must never be taken for granted.
    Sincerely hope you would be able to cope with your studies and things at home. Stay strong and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wei Qin!

    I am glad that you have opened up and am willing to share your feelings on this incident with us!

    I'm not 100% sure about this but perhaps you will like to consider them in your next edition?
    - showed more concern towards my family

    I hope your mother is doing well now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie!

      I've edited my post based on your comment!

      Delete
  3. Hi Wei Qin

    I really respect the decision that you made to cut back on your social life and start helping out around your family. I understand this can't have been an easy event for you and know how drastically my life would change if something was to happen to my mum.

    Overall, I think your post was really coherent and well written. Just one thing I want to point out, but like Maggie I am not 100% sure about them.

    "Albeit being a mild stroke, the news came as a huge shock to me and my family."
    - I don't think you need the 'being' in this sentence, I think it makes sense if you just write 'albeit a mild stroke...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica!

      I've also edited my post according to your comment!

      Delete
  4. Hello Wei Qin!

    It is always a very hard decision to decide to pull back from your social circle. You chose well! It was good that you were there for your mother during her hard times :)

    Anyway, I noticed this and I'm not very sure if I'm right but that sentence sounds like your brother-in-law is pregnant.

    "my sister and brother-in-law were pregnant at that time". Maybe you can change it to --> "my sister and brother-in-law were expecting a child at that time".

    See you in class! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shi Qin! I've already made changes to my post!

      Delete
  5. This is a very well presented, heart-felt reflection, WeiQin. Not only do you clearly document the experience of dealing with your mom's stroke and the resultant household responsibilities you have taken on, but you also poignantly trace the way your character has been affected by the ordeal. Your mom (and dad) must be very proud of the way you have stepped forward to provide support to your mom and the home.

    Thank you for sharing in this excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouraging comment, Brad!

    ReplyDelete